The heart and the blood vessels are vital to a human being. The blood carries nutrients and oxygen throughout your child’s entire body. The blood must flow in order to make this possible and therefore the heart, the pump of the body, is essential.
In an allergic reaction to tree and/or grass pollen (hay fever), house dust mites and pets a very severe allergic reaction with impact on your child’s cardiac system will not occur that quickly. In an allergic reaction to insect venom, a drug allergy and a food allergy that risk does exist though.
Below a number of symptoms are stated which can be caused by an allergic reaction. These symptoms are all related to the cardiac system:
- Acceleration of the heart rate
- Rapid and strong fall in blood pressure
- Cardiac arrest
Certainly the last two phenomena are mainly seen in a very severe allergic reaction, also known as an anaphylactic reaction.
What is an anaphylactic reaction?
Anaphylaxis is a potentially severe or life-threatening allergic reaction that can occur very quickly, as fast as within a couple of minutes after exposure to the allergen. It can be triggered by an allergy to a particular food, biting or stinging insect and/or medication.
The symptoms occur in different organs: the eyes, the skin, the gastrointestinal tract and the lungs. Your child often gets multiple symptoms at once. Worst case scenario is a rapid and strong fall in blood pressure which will make your child lose consciousness. When this situation occurs an anaphylactic shock is in progress. This is a life-threatening emergency situation that can be fatal.
Please contact a physician as soon as possible in case of an anaphylactic reaction and/or dial 112.